Tuesday, August 28, 2012

#4: The Choice is Yours

For the most part I absolutely hate politics. There were only five students out of roughly two hundred in my accelerated middle school program who were not die-hard republicans. I happened to be one of the five. Our teachers did a poll for George W Bush vs. John Kerry in 2004. I was open about choosing Kerry over Bush, although I was not the biggest fan of either man. This lead to so many debates with all of my fellow classmates and with a few of the teachers. After attempting to defend my position for the months leading to the election, and Kerry losing the election leading to ridicule, politics left a bad taste in my mouth. This being said, I have been asked to write about my political beliefs. I took a compass test that showed I am a left libertarian, which was not surprising to me. What was surprising was that the teacher said most of his students were left libertarian.

To me I think that everyone should have a right to choose how they live their life, with respect towards other people, of course. I feel that as long as your actions do not directly effect another person in a negative manner that you should have the right to continue those actions. I think that the government has become too involved in how we go about our days. I think that every man and woman should have a choice in every aspect of their lives. A highly debated issue in today's politics is whether or not a homosexual couple should be able to marry. In my opinion, this does not directly effect ANYONE but the two people getting married. It should be their choice, not ours. There is supposed to be a separation in church and state but the only argument made against this is that marriage should be between a man and a woman. This is from The Holy Bible, which is clearly a religious text and should not be the deciding factor for the laws in this country. Basically my political views can be summed up with this: You make your own decisions, you do not cause physical harm to others, and you help others when given the opportunity. I apply that to nearly every issue in today's politics. I don't believe that anyone has the right to impose what they believe is right or wrong on our society. I think it should be left entirely to the individual.

1 comment: